Our History

IMG_1454
IMG_0004
10514737_10154370695255457_4927441154857712745_n
10446008_10154370695165457_5999936022543784745_n
10410367_10154370695100457_3988598141313697582_n
IMG_1587
IMG_2438

The history and purpose of the Greater Hinds Street Missionary Baptist Church is to participate and promote the Kingdom of God through Jesus Christ in evangelism, discipleship, Christian education, missions, ministries, social service and any other objective that the church may consider to be appropriate and desirable.

 

The Greater Hinds Street Missionary Baptist Church was established in 1911 when a group of members chose to leave First Baptist Church, located in Greenville, Mississippi, and start anew.  Namely, Deacon John Gray, Deacon John Collins, Deacon Robert Moore, and his wife, Sister C.L. Bean, who were all members of Penthian Hall, begin to hold church meetings in the association’s building, located on Cately and Nelson Streets. They eventually moved to 502 Nelson Street, currently known as Doe’s Eat Place.

 

Countless individuals have been baptized and converted to Jesus Christ for the forgiveness and remission of sin.  The church’s history is storied with decades long service and contributions by numerous members and friends, who are God-fearing and God-loving, both named and unnamed. Many have been baptized and converted to Christ Listed below is a small listing of key milestones related to ministries and facility improvements collected over the years:

  • In January 1926, “Hinds Street” was founded at its present site under the late Rev. Lynke Williams. Sister Georgia Williams served as Secretary of the Church with Sister Clay Dee Williams as Pianist.  

  • In 1930, the first DoReMi Club, an extension of the Senior Choir, was formed under the supervision of Sister C.L. Bean, who was later elected President of the Choir and remained so until her death in 1985. Additionally, in the early 1930’s, the Mother Board came was formed to parallel the ministry of the Deacons who began when the church was initially founded.  Both Mothers Ava Butler and Mamie Thomas served as Presidents, in succession of each other.  

  • Later in 1932, the first Usher Board was organized under the supervision of Sister Beatrice Moore, followed by Sister Francis Love as President. Sister Love served for many years  before her death, at which time Sister Annie Miller became President. Somewhere between 1938 and 1939, the late Rev. W.L. Richardson was elected Pastor with Susie Hudson as Secretary. Sister Nancy Ellis, Sister Barbara Bacon and Sister Florence Bivens all served as pianists during this era.

  • In the early 40’s, Sister Delphia Coleman took over as secretary and remained so until her death in 1992.  At this time Ms. Coleman’s daughter – Geraldine – became the Church’s secretary and remained so until her death in 1993. The Junior Choir was organized in 1946 under the supervision of Sister C.L. Bean.

  • During the latter part of 1947 and early part of 1948, Sister Barbara McBride was the part-time pianist for the Church. In 1954, she became full time and the only musician, a position she held until 1964, at which time she became the Church’s organist and Sister Earnestine Gossett became the Church’s pianist, a position she held until her health began to fail in June 2004. Sister Barbara McBride continued as the organist until her retirement in August of 2006.

  • In 1954, Hinds Street underwent a new look with new restorations and 1955 became a new dawning for the Church. A new pastor was elected --- Rev. E.D. Simpson – and a massive renovation took place. The renovation led to a desire to rename the church. Henceforth, it became known as the ‘GREATER HINDS STREET MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH. After these great occurrences, the Willing Workers Club came into existence in 1956 with Sister Susie Morris as its President.

  • For nearly 40 years, Rev. Simpson provided leadership to the church by proclaiming God’s Holy Word, contributing to the growth and spiritual maturity of the church.  In 1987, the “Fellowship Hall” was completed and Dedicatory Services were rendered. Sister Annie Harrington, Deacon Robert Moore, and Sister B.M. Malcolm performed the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony.  In 1993, Oliver Johnson, joined the choir as a pianist and later became the Church’s Minister of Music.

  • In 1994, the Church committed to continuous improvement of the building.  The Communion Preparation and the Finance Rooms received improvements.  As improvements were made, the church also elected Youth Pastor, Rev. Cedric Reed.  Sadly, the year brought the end of era.  Rev. E.D. Simpson passed away in October 1994, thusly bringing an end to the longest tenured Pastorate of the church.

  • In March 1995, Rev. Thomas Morris Sr. became the Pastor.  God blessed us with the gift of Rev. Morris and the church has continued to grow spiritually and prosper perceptibly. Mr. Frank Seid and married couple, Napolean and Maurice Thomas, donated property to the church for expansion.  Throughout the years, the Church purchased several portions of land in the surrounding neighborhood. In October, the Hinds Street Baptist Church Community Development Corporation was established with Deacon George Jennings as its Chairperson.

  • In 1997, the church hosted its first Vacation Bible School that served area youth with a Biblical theme, lessons, and activities.   Vacation Bible School has been held annually since this time.  The year continued with additional property being obtained at 434 Hinds Street.

  • In 1998, the Church purchased a 33-passenger coach bus to expand the Transportation ministry and support those who needed a ride to church. The year’s accomplishments continued with Sis. Bennie Ruth Parks being appointed Director of the CDC and Brother Sammie Armstrong elected Chairperson of the CDC Board. The year also marked the beginning of summer programs for school age children which were overseen by being by the CDC.  Sister Barbara McCoy published the first edition of the church’ newsletter “The Voice of Hinds Street”, within the same year.

  • In 1999, Mr. George Lynch donated property located at the corner of Hinds and Alexander Streets to the church.  The year also gave way to the advancement of the summer camp program. The program continued to advance each year of its existence – beginning with 72 students and 19 employees in 1998 to more than 400 students and 48 employees in 2003. The program in ended in 2004 due to lack of state funding.

  • In March 2002, the church broke ground for the Greater Hinds Street Church Family Life Center.  The Family Life Center provided much needed space for church functions and activities. In the Spring of 2004, a Dedicatory Service was held for the newly constructed Family Life Center and the church adopted a new motto: “A Church with Vision, Commitment, Service, & Progress”. The Family Life Center included a finance room, pastor’s study, kitchen, a computer room, a copy room, 8 classrooms, and a middle school sized gymnasium with a basketball court that is used as a multi-purpose facility.

  • In December 2004, the Young Adult ministry was introduced to the church. Under the leadership of Pastor Morris, Hinds Street’s Senior, Gospel, and United Voices choirs, combined to become one singing in excellence before the Lord. Later this same year, a marquee was added by Sister Diana Greene and our Nursing Home Ministry began which was chaired by Sister Linda Stewart.

  • In 2007, our efforts to maintain and upkeep the sanctuary included a redesign of the pulpit and additional renovations to include tile and carpet.   The Church added to its parking area from property that had been purchased the prior year. Amongst ministries, Sister Ollie Armstrong reactivated and led the Prison Ministry.

  • The Spring of 2009 brought about the church nursery, chaired by Sister Carol Richard and Sister Gloria Shorter.

  • In the Fall of 2010, we hosted our first Christian Leadership School chaired by Sister Ollie Armstrong and in November 2010 the CDC partnered with the Internal Revenue Service to become a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Site, preparing income tax returns free of charge for taxpayers.

  • In the Fall of 2012, the church purchased a small 4-unit apartment complex and a vacant lot across the street with a goal of renewing the building for future usage and benefit to the church and community.  A community garden has since been made out of the vacant lot.

  • In 2013, work began to bring about a facelift to the Church and Family Life Center.  Both buildings had been built separately and this effort reinforced the unity of the church and facility used to support spiritual growth and serve the community. A dedication service was held June 29, 2014.

  • The best is yet to come.

448 North Hinds Street

Greenville, MS 38701

(662) 332-2489

QUICK LINKS

SERVICE TIMES

Sunday School, Every Sunday at 9:30 A.M.

Worship Service, Every Sunday, at 11:00 A.M.

Worship Service, Every 5th Sunday (only), at 8:00 A.M.

Children's Church, Every 4th Sunday at 11:00 A.M.

Youth Bible Study and Programs, Every Wednesday, at 5:00 P.M.

Adult Bible Study and Prayer, Every Wednesday, at 6:00 P.M.

CONNECT WITH US

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle